Monday, June 13, 2005

From The Sublime to The Ridiculous: How much Sex?

After having read Lori Foster’s Jamie, I was in a book buying mood, so I immediately went to EC and purchased Sexy Sweet: Triple Play by Rhyannon Byrd.

I have actually read a book by Ms Byrd in the past, (when I first discovered EC), but I still recall being bemused at the amount of time the hero and heroine spent in bed. A strange comment you may think, but you need to read the book and you’ll understand what I mean.

Because it’s been months since I read
Waiting For It, I decided to have another look at Ms Byrd’s offerings, so of course I went and purchased Triple Play.

Now the blurb sounded great (as did ‘Waiting for it’) so I read an excerpt, and thought, yeah, I’m gonna buy!

So I bought. And I read. And I read.

Here’s my standard blurb:

Girl Assistant has been in love with her boss for years but despairs that he’ll ever notice her, as anything other than his overweight (the wording in the book is actually lush, I’ll use overweight) assistant.

Boy Boss has lusted after Girl Assistant for years, but he has a guilty secret, which weighs heavily on his mind, and he thinks that he’s not worthy of Girl Assistant.

Attractive Third Wheel is the best friend of Boy Boss, and knows that he is secretly in love with Girl Assistant.

Thus on Boy Boss’s 35th Birthday, Attractive Third Wheel gives him a ‘present’ that will change his life forever.

A Menage A trois follows.

Girl Assistant, Boy Boss, and Attractive Third Wheel then proceed to shag each other to within an inch of their lives.

Again.

And Again

And again

Attractive Third Wheel eventually leaves, and Girl Assistant and Boy Boss live happily ever after.

Seriously, that’s the book. Nothing else happens, nada, nil, zero, zilch. NOTHING!

They started having sex on page 67, and didn’t finish until half way down page 266. The hero and the heroine then spoke for a while, this is when the he told the her about his past. Then they had the obligatory after-secret-revelation-shag.

What the hell? I know this is an erotic romance book, but they didn’t do ANYTHING ELSE, other than swap saliva, go down on each other, moan a lot, penetrate various holes, shoot out enough come to fill the Pacific Ocean, and every now and then tell us what an emotional event this was for them.


This book had the potential to be a wonderful book, but unfortunately it fell short due to one major thing. The ménage a trois that just lasted too damn long.

The book was technically excellent, the author had a fantastic way with words, she had the ability to wring out every kind of emotion from her characters, and make them believable, but there just needed to be a little more going on.

The most intriguing character was The Attractive Third Wheel, and if there had been a bit more in terms of plot, I probably would have looked forward to reading about his adventures next (I’m sure Ms Byrd will write his story at some point) but as it is, I’ll probably give it a miss, cuz as much as I like reading about people having sex, I like them to do other stuff too.

So sorry Rhyannon, great writing, but 200 consecutive pages of nothing but sex, gets a little boring after a while.

This is just my opinion obviously, so if anybody has read this book, and had a different take on it, please feel free to comment.