Thursday, November 10, 2005

Where Are The Blind/Deaf Heroes And Heroines?

I once read a book which featured a blind heroine, and I recall wondering at the time, why there weren’t more books that embraced serious physical disabilities (apart from the prerequisite hero’s blown knee) such as blindness or deafness.

My one and only experience of a deaf heroine was in Francine Pascal’s Sweet Valley High, when Regina what’s-her-face was going out with that rabid dog, Bruce Patman. You remember Bruce don’tcha? He was the dick with the private license plates. What was it now… something like 1BRUCE1? Or something, I’m sure somebody will correct me if I’m wrong.

Anyway, to this day, I still remember how touched I was by that story line… wait, didn’t the bastards kill Regina off in the end, and didn't Bruce revert to being a rabid dog again? Ooops… I digress.

The story with the blind heroine was a Silhouette Special Edition, and it was one that I never forgot. Thinking back, I probably appreciated the fact that at last, here was a love story that involved real issues that needed to be overcome, instead of the contrived stuff that was more often than not totally blown out of proportion.



I'm still surprised that more authors don't write stories with this plot device. If they're written well, I reckon they'd be hugely successful with romance readers out there.


Anybody know any good books featuring blind heroines or heroes?