Thursday, April 13, 2006

Happy 1st Birthday To My Blog…



A year ago today, I put up my very first blog post.

I’d been a member of quite a few author loops, and I was getting pig sick of having to watch what I said, or even worse, totally being ignored. I remember often posting at a certain loop that I was pretty active in, and finding that nobody wanted to speak to me. All the readers on this particular loop seemed to know each other pretty well, and I felt kind of shut out. I made a huge effort to participate, but time and time again, I was continually ignored, so I decided to just leave the group.

Not only did I leave the group, I stopped buying the author’s books. The whole experience left a pretty bad taste in my mouth, so I certainly wasn’t going to make matters worse, by actually spending my hard earned pennies on her books. Fuck that.

Anyway, I decided to leave most of the author loops that I was part of, mostly because they were just too cliquey. I hate cliques. The funny thing is, most of the authors would probably deny that their groups were cliquey, but I assure you, they were.

I did keep to a couple though, and although I’m not as active as I used to be, I still really appreciate
Sarah McCarty and Eve Vaughn’s listserves. The ladies in both of these groups were pretty nice, and very welcoming to a newbie with a big mouth.

I remember reading JW Mckenna’s Darkest Hour and feeling so mad, that I needed an outlet. I needed somewhere where I could say that his book was crap without stepping on toes, so that’s when I decided to start the blog.

This was my first ever blog entry:



I can’t believe it’s been a year already. I’ve had a pretty good time actually, cuz I know without the blog, I wouldn’t have ‘met’ gals like the fab Maili, who I believe was the first person to link to me.

Like most things in life, you can’t please all of the people all of the time, so I aimed to please myself, and nobody else. I’ve tried to stay true to who I am, and I write about whatever happens to be on my mind, regardless of who I offend.

There will be people out there who think I’m the devil incarnate, but equally, there will be people who think I’m ok, either way, the most important thing about my blog, is that it’s mine and I can say what the hell I want to. Which is what I always wanted, so I think I’ve done ok.