Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Tuesday Special – Author Interviews: Sarah McCarty


Conception by Sarah McCarty Posted by Picasa

Hi Guys, the first author I will be interviewing is the award winning author Sarah McCarty. Thanks to all the people who sent questions, unfortunately, the first few interviews will not include any of the selected questions, as I sent my original questions, before I posted the competition. Talk about disorganised huh?

Anyway, let the questions commence:

Author Name: Sarah McCarty
Website:
http://www.sarahmccarty.net/
Genre: Western historical, Contemporary, Paranormal
Latest book in shops now:
Unchained: Mac’s Law

Karen: Before we begin this interview, I need to check that you’re still grounded and that your head isn’t swollen from all of your success, so with that in mind, what was the last thing you bought on Ebay, and do you know how much a carton of milk costs?

Sarah: Let’s see. I bought something on Ebay a year ago. Horrible experience.
Item was not what was advertised and I had to threaten the folk with dire consequences, but after four months got my money back plus some. Have never purchased from there again and never will.

I don't measure milk by the carton but by gallons. I buy $30 worth a week for the family. It's a purchase that takes up a chunk of the weekly grocery budget so it keeps me well grounded.

Karen: Name your top five favourite books that you read as a child:

Sarah: All of
Zane Grey, Jack London and Edgar Rice Burroughs (It's easier to ask me authors than individual books)

Karen: What does a typical day as a writer consist of?

Sarah: This is going to bore you to tears, but here you go.

Get woken up by dogs 4am (I have five of my own and 1 or 2 fosters at any one time). Let dogs out, open door so cats (5) can harass the morning birds through the screen, and then get coffee and check email.

Write a bit, wake up children, chat with hubby, drive kids to bus stop, return home, kiss hubby good bye, play fetch with dogs, write. Train foster dogs or run errands.

Cook supper. eat lunch. Write. Pick up kids from bus stop. Announce what supper is. Train foster dog more. Order kids to do homework. Answer emails. Nag kids about doing homework. Groan at mess kids left. Turn away and leave mess for hubby.

Take nap so can be awake when hubby comes home and gets that gleam in his eye. Wake up.
Write. Greet hubby. Entertain hubby (waggle eyebrows) sleep. Get up at 4 am.
Really not that exciting.

Karen: I’m amazed you get the time to write, especially with your penchant for rising at the crack of dawn!

Anyway, sorry to interrupt, here’s the next question!

Name your top five favourite books of all time.

Sarah:
Coming Up Roses by Catherine Anderson, Whitney My Love by, Judith Mc Naught, The Outsider by, Penelope Williamson. The Bride by, Julie Garwood, West of the Pecos by Zane Grey.

Karen: Which authors are you glomming at the moment?

Sarah: Now that you've sent me a translation to this question, I can answer.

I'm experimenting with a bunch of new authors looking for treasure. I just read two by
Candace Sams that I really enjoyed. Stone Heart and Goblin Moon.

Karen: Do you have other close romance writer friends, and if so who are they?

Sarah: Nope!

Karen: When did realize that you wanted to write books, and who or what inspired you?

Sarah: I've always been in love with the written word. It just took me years for the light bulb to turn on that I didn't have to write non fiction, that I could make up my stories. I was about 16 when that happened.

Karen: If you could have a one-to-one conversation with a famous historical figure, who would it be with and what would you talk about?

Sarah: I don't really want to talk to one person, but I would love to talk with the women who brainstormed the climate in the Wyoming territory to get women the vote. Though it was symbolic at first, it was a huge first step.

I would just love to talk to all the women of that time to get an overall sense of how they saw them selves in society and what they thought of the women's movement and whether they saw the granting of the vote as a forward or backward movement for women. Basically, I 'd like to be able to get a real live social taste of the beginning of the change.

Karen: What is your ultimate goal when it comes your writing?

Sarah: Ah, you just had to go the heart of my neurosis didn't you? There are only three things I'm obsessive about in the world, my kids, my fosters and my writing.


Even though I know it's impossible, especially as I'm a character writer and therefore each of my stories will take on the personalities of the hero and heroine rather than the feel of the plot, (this means a different book each time rather than a consistent
tone).

I am obsessed with making my stories as perfect as possible for every reader. And while I rationally know every reader is not going to identify with each character, I'm compelled to try and make it so. As I edit, I add layer upon layer in the belief that if I get enough depth into the story, into the characterization, I will strike a chord in every reader and they will all find satisfaction. I hate to disappoint readers. So my ultimate goal is to write a great book everyone will love.

Karen: Nothing wrong with those goals, if more authors thought like that, I wouldn’t have to write so many scathing reviews, crap, sorry next question. (how does Letterman do this anyway?)

Karen: What’s your favorite food?
(BTW, don’t think I didn’t notice that you changed my correct English spelling of favourite *g*)

Sarah: That's easy. Chocolate. Steak.

Karen: Together? Sorry I digress, next question…

Which of your books is the dearest to your heart, and why?

Sarah:
Promises Prevail. It was a story from my heart. A complete risk career wise, and totally draining emotionally, but from the moment Clint said he would have no other but his Jenna, I was enthralled with the challenge of taking this totally different type of heroine and finding her a home in readers heart's.

Karen: I must admit, I have a soft spot for those two, and you know how rare it is for me to like both the hero and heroine *g*. Sorry -- next question...

When was the last time you went overseas and where did you go?

Sarah: I haven't been overseas in years, a factor of money and kids, but the last place I visited was Austria. I just love the mountains.

Karen: Who’s your favorite romance hero of all time?

Don’t have one.

Karen: Gasp! Heathen! Not even whatshisface from Gone With The Wind? Oops, sorry, I’m interrupting again, next question…

Who’s your favourite romance heroine of all time?

Sarah: Again, I don't have one. I'm not a person for favorites. I never had crushes on movie stars or anyone else growing up. I tend to think in broader terms rather than focusing in. I enjoy heroes and heroines in books in context of the story rather than in a comparative kind of way.
I love the experience of the read rather than the hero or the heroine separately.

Karen: What was the last movie you saw?

Sarah:
I, Robot. (I hate to sit still so I don't do theaters well)

Karen: Did you enjoy the scene in the shower starring Will Smith’s bum? Oops, I’m doing it again, I’m sure you appreciated the film for the philosophical visionary genius that it was. I’m doing it again aren’t I? Sorry…

Karen: Name your top five favourite romantic films.

Sarah: I only have one.
Murphy’s Romance with James Gardner and Sally Fields.

Karen: If you could be any other author, who would you be and why

Sarah:
Penelope Williamson. Her book, The Outsider, I thought was the most perfect I've ever read.

Karen: What was the last book you read?

Sarah: Candace Sams’
Goblin Moon. Really enjoyed it. I'm going into Fictionwise
for more of this author.

Karen: Finally, when’s your next book due out, and what’s it about?

Sarah: My next print book to release is
Promises Prevail
and will be available September 28th. My next ebook releases August 31st from Ellora's Cave.


It's the first book of my new series. The OTHERS,
Conception was difficult to write as it's a new genre for me, (paranormal with suspense elements) but I just loved these two characters so I couldn't back away from the challenge. Dusan is so formal and old worldly, while Eden is all modern sass and determination, yet the two of them work together.

His steadiness and calm gives her the balance to find her feet as their worlds collide while her sense of humor is a vehicle which helps them to bridge the differences between their cultures.


They often made me laugh and just as often sigh, thinking "Perfect." Ok. And a couple times they made me blink and think, "Well, I didn't see that coming." Despite the fact that he drinks blood and she'd prefer to abstain, they are so good as a couple.

Karen: Sounds fantastic Sarah, can’t wait for it’s release tomorrow! Thanks so much for taking the time out to answer my somewhat nosy questions!

For those of you who are interested in any of Sarah’s offerings, you can find a list of her books
here.

Coming up next week: Lori Foster