Friday, October 14, 2005

Tuesday Special Interview: Eve Vaughn

{Yeah, so I'm fully aware that it's not Tuesday, so sue me *g*}

Author Name: Eve Vaughn
Website: www.evevaughn.com

Genre: Erotic Romance
Latest book in shops now: Blood Brothers 2: Niccolo’s Witch (Loose-id), I know Who You Did Last Summer (Changeling Press)

Before we begin this interview, I need to check that you’re still grounded and that your head isn’t swollen from your success, so with that in mind, what was the last thing you bought at Walmart, and do you know how much a loaf of bread costs? (grin)

Me with the big head? You’re the one with the popular blog. I just live in your world. LOL. The last thing I brought at Walmart was a knock off George Foreman Grill. My first George Foreman broke, but when I saw that they were charging 80 bucks for the size I wanted and I saw the knockoff one for 40 I got that one instead, and let me tell you, it works just as well.

Damn you George Foreman…uhh sorry about going off on a tangent. As for the cost of bread, it really depends on what you get. I get the oatmeal bread because it’s a little healthier and tastes better and that’s about $2.80.

{Me and Hubby bought a GF grill too… It’s still in it’s box *g*}

What were your favourite books as a child?


Super Fudge- Judy Blume, The Mouse and the Motorcycle- Beverley Cleary, Green Eggs and Ham- Dr. Suess, Circle of Gold (can't remember the author), and Anything in the Sweet Valley High series- Francine Pascal.

{Is there anyone who never read Sweet Valley High Books? I was so glad when Liz and Todd broke up, man talk about a Stepford Couple, as for Jessica, that girl was such a slut.}

What does a typical day as a writer consist of?

Well, I don’t know about the typical author but I have a full time job, so I get up, go to work, suffer, go to lunch, come back to work and suffer some more. Go home, cuddle with the hubby, fix dinner than write for a couple hours. Sounds pretty exciting to be me doesn't it? :-D

{I still can’t believe you’ve got time to write so prolifically}

Name your top five favourite books of all time.

Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen, The Stand-Stephen King, Beyond Innocence- Emma Holly, Where the Sidewalk Ends- Shel Silverstein, Cradle will Rock- James Patterson

Which authors are you glomming at the moment? (reading a lot of?)

Anything by Emma Holly,
Marilyn Lee, Lena Matthews, Camille Anthony, Angela Knight, Morgan Hawke, Mary Janice Davidson, James Patterson, Stephen King, Brenda Jackson, and too many more to name

Do you have other close romance writer friends, and if so who are they?

Yes, Lena Matthews, Stephanie Burke, Camille Anthony, Jet Mykles, Lena Austin, Marilyn Lee. Those are the ones I communicate with on a regular basis but there's lots more.

When did you realise that you wanted to write books, and who or what inspired you?

When I was younger I think maybe around nine or ten, my inspiration was that I was on punishment a lot with no TV priveleges, and after writing stories to amuse myself I realized how much I enjoyed doing it.

As a newly published writer, can you tell us a little about your journey to publishing heaven, and what important things you’ve learned so far about this industry?

Well, I know I wanted to be a writer for a long time, and I loved romance the best, but I always tended to write my love scene a tad spicier than what was being printed. When I discovered erotic romance online, I knew this was the kind of stuff I wanted to write.

A friend critiqued my work and thought it was good enough to submit and the rest as they say is history. I’ve learned a lot and I’m still learning, but the most important thing I’ve learned is to that in the end, you can’t please everyone so you might as well please yourself.

If you could have a one-to-one conversation with a famous historical figure, who would it be with and what would you talk about?

I would like to talk to Oprah. I know she's not a historical figure, but she's loaded, maybe she'll take pity on a poor struggling author and break me off some loot. LOL

{I’d talk to her too, I’d be the best friend she ever had *g*}

What is your ultimate goal when it comes to your writing?

I would like to write for a living. I don't need to be rich, just comfortable with a enough to live on. I'm slowly inching my way to that goal.

Has anything a reviewer or reader said or written about you changed the way you write?

Nope.

{OK that was to the point *g*}

When was the last time you went overseas and where did you go?

I've never stepped foot out of North America. Can you believe I'm the last person on earth without a passport?

{You Americans… *shakes head*}

Who are your favourite romance hero and heroine of all time?


Would you believe the Phantom in the Phantom of the Opera? He's so tragic, and I can't help but feel sorry for him. I don't think he was the monster he was made out to be. And for my favorite heroine, Elizabeth Barrett of Pride and Prejudice.

What kind of characters would you say you typically wrote?

Characters that you’re likely to meet in everyday life.

If only one person could read your book, who would that be? (as in the person who you would want most to read your book)

My mom. She’s one of my biggest supporters and she is the one who gave me my love for reading.

If you had to pick, who would you say has been most influential within the romance genre?

To be honest, I don’t know, but I would think it would be the first person who thought of marketing romance stories to women.

What was the last movie you saw?

The Wedding Crashers

Name your top five favourite romantic films.

Pride and Prejudice, The Bodyguard, Where the Heart is, A Walk To Remember, The Princess Bride

What was the last book you read?

Maverick’s Black Cat by Lena Matthew and Maggie Casper

What do you enjoy most about being a writer?

Thinking of an idea and seeing me characters come to life on the pages.

What do you least enjoy about being a writer?

Deadlines.

Have you any advice to aspiring writers who haven’t been published yet?

Never let anyone stop you from pursuing your dream.

Finally, when’s your next book due out, and what’s it about?

Descendants of the Light 3: Hopes Heart, with
Changeling Press. It’s the continuation of my Descendants series about a group of healers who are whisked off to an alternate Earth to save a race of winged people. The catch is, they’re not aware of their heritage and they must each marry one of the royal princes in order to fulfil an ancient prophesy.

Thanks Eve! Next Week, Vicki Lewis Thompson!