Friday, October 07, 2005

Taking On The TBR And My Buys From Florida...

I don’t want to leave this weekend with the previous post hanging around like a bad smell, so I thought I’d organise my TBR and tell you what I’ve been reading.

On holiday I went totally crazy and bought about twenty new books (hey, we don’t get the same books over here). As you can imagine, it was a challenge to fit them in my suitcase on the way home. I had to get very creative.

Here is a list of some of the more interesting books that I bought whilst in the US:

Passion, by Lisa Valdez
Love Slave, Bertrice Small (bought on the advice of the the fab girl at Borders)
All The Sweet Tomorrows, Bertrice Small
Skye O’Malley, Bertrice Small (Did I mention that the girl at Borders was persuasive?)
Mackenzies Mountain, Linda Howard (not really sure why I bought this)
Behind Closed Doors, Shannon Mckenna
Out of Control, Shannon Mckenna
Standing In The Shadows, Shannon Mckenna
Bad Boys Next Exit, Shannon Mckenna et al (yeah, I’m glomming her, and what of it? *g*)
What A woman Wants, Caroline Linden (hey it was only $3.99!)
Sensation, Thea Devine (erm, this will probably will be one that stays on the TBR forever because it’s part of a series. At $14, it was very expensive!)
Too Much Temptation, Lori Foster
Chance McCall, Sharon Sala (currently reading)
Born To Be Bad, Sherrilyn Kenyon

Now, onto the books that I read (including those in the TBR on the sidebar that I took to Florida with me):

The first book on my TBR pile that I read was Tami Hoag’s Cry Wolf. Damn but that woman is a frickin’ genius! A lot of her older books seem to be set in Louisiana so it would be interesting to see if she returns to this part of the US in her future books.

I then read, Out of Control, Behind Closed Doors, and Standing In The Shadows, all of them were by Shannon Mckenna . Now, she’s an author who’s books I probably shouldn’t like, but if I’m honest, I love them. The reason I say I shouldn’t like them is because every one of her stories seems to be exactly the same. Let me give you a brief blurb that covers all three books.

Girl Unlucky meets Boy Moody Bastard under strenuous circumstances, i.e there’s a murderous killer out to get her.

Murderous Fellow finds her devastatingly attractive and wants a piece of her before he kills her (who says romance is dead?)

Girl Unlucky and Boy Moody Bastard fall into bed and have very hot sex for about three days

Boy Moody Bastard acts all macho and possesive and eventually drives Girl Unlucky nuts so she runs away.

Girl Unlucky realises too late that it’s probably not a good idea to run off when Murderous Fellow is on the loose, and gunning for her.

Unbeknownst to her, Girl Unlucky is wearing a tracking device that Boy Moody Bastard planted on her so that he knows where she is at all times (some would call it stalking, but I found it romantic *g*)

Murderous Fellow traps her, and is about to kill her, when Boy Moody Bastard flies in and takes him down, risking his life for that utterly stupid Girl Unlucky, and they live happily ever after.

You pick up any of these three books, and you’ll find the same stories running through them. I still loved them though.

The next book I read was Linda Howard’s Kiss Me While I Sleep. The heroine is a hired assassin who is depressed so she kills the man who kills the people she is closest to. Can we say traumatised? F*cking loved it.

The next Linda Howard that I read was Dying To Please, which was another good one.

I then read Debbi Rawlin’s Hands On. It was a blaze book. I have no recollection of what it was about. ‘Nuff said.

Joahanna Lindsey’s Glorious Angel, I really enjoyed this book. Girl and Boy fall in love, then find out that they could be brother and sister, so she runs away in despair leaving Boy hard and embittered. It turns out that they aren’t related, and they live happily ever after. I’m glad they weren’t related. Still, I enjoyed it.

Lori Foster’s Too Much Temptation was another jolly good light read, I loved Grace, who was the female character, she rocked.

I read the first story in Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Born To Be Bad, and it was OK. It didn’t blow me away, but I think she’s one of those ‘popular’ authors whose books I will always enjoy, but will never be really impressed by.

So, that’s what I’ve read in the past two weeks. I think I did pretty well actually.

Now, wasn’t that a nice girly, non-confrontational entry? *g*

Have a nice weekend y’all!