Thursday, October 04, 2007

Are You A Classy Chick?



TTG and I had a major discussion the night before last, about class. (or was it the night before that?) The reason we even started debating this topic was because of a programme that happened to be on the telly at the time.

Basically, the programme was about our (Brits) obsession with class distinction, and what the main differences were between, the working class, the middle class, and the upper class.

I've always proudly considered myself working class, but then TTG reminded me that although we might see ourselves as working class, other people probably don't. We argued this point for a while, then I had to concede that possibly we were more middle-class than working class, which is apparently the worst class to belong to, because you're sneered at by the working class, and labelled as over-achievers, and yet you're not quite good enough for the upper class.

According to TTG, we guys over here are the only people in the world who have a class system. I of course told him that he was talking out of his arse.

He cited the US as an example of a nation with no inherent class system, so I told him to take off his US-coloured glasses, and see the sun.

Heated debate ensued.

Anyway, basically I do think that every nation has a class system, it's just that not every country has a name for the different classes, like we do over here.

There'll always be The Haves, and the Have-Nots, and I'd say that the majority of The Haves will always consider themselves superior to The Have-Nots.

The one thing that I will concede is that in the US, it is more likely for a Normo (erm, AKA Poor Average Joe) to become president, whereas over here, if you didn't cut your teeth on the blackboards at Eton, you've got about as much chance of becoming a PM, as Britney Spears has of keeping her knickers on.

What say you?

Labels: