Monday, November 28, 2005

They Really Should Bring Back Corporal Punishment...

"In its function, the power to punish is not essentially different from that of curing or educating." Michel Foucault

I was reading about the David Ludwig and Kara Beth Borden case, and I couldn’t help but wish that some of the methods of discipline that used be popular in the olden days, would be brought back.

Corporal punishment in school should make a return. Teachers should be given the rights once again to punish children properly,
who misbehave or bully other kids. One day they may be pulling Mary-Sue’s hair, the next thing you know, they’ll be shooting Mary-Sue’s parents because they pissed him off.

My town’s hardly a sprawling metropolis, but even here, schoolground atrocities are becoming more and more prevalent. Recently, a little boy was stabbed in the head with a fork, by a girl in his class.

How does that happen?

When I was about nine years old, my best friend stole a bike from a neighbouring village, and because I was with her at the time, a policeman came to my parents house to let them know that I’d been seen with Becky and the bike earlier that day.

My father looked at me, and calmly told me to go outside, and choose my own birch. I knew what that meant.

Yes, he beat me with a stick that day, and I imagine that all the social-worker types out there would have been baying for his blood, but the fact is, I never forgot that punishment, and even though I hadn’t actually stolen the bike myself, I sure knew that a life of crime wasn’t for me.

On the other hand, my friend’s parents grounded her for a week, but she actually only stayed at home for one day, before she was let out again. When she came round to my house, my parents told her not to come around anymore.

I was heartbroken at the time, but I really appreciate their actions at that time now. I know that Becky has been in and out of trouble with the police since then, for a whole host of misdemeanours, such as robbery, assault, and drug-associated crimes.

The last I heard, she’d had three children to different men, and all of them had been taken into foster care.

I can’t help but think that a little discipline from her parents, would have gone a long way in helping her stay on the straight and narrow.

I know all the arguments against corporal punishment, and honestly, I don’t give a shit. The fact is, when corporal punishment was allowed in the classroom and at home, how many kids went out and killed other kids? Not as much as these days, I would wager.

I know it’ll never happen, due to the ridiculous amount of yogurt-knitting, tree-hugging vegetarians out there.

The fact is, in the world we live in today, there is a total lack of respect from kids, and something needs to be done about it, or pretty soon, the world will have far more people like Charles Manson than Mother Theresa polluting our already fucked up world.