Monday, November 21, 2005

Women 'Get Blamed for Being Raped'...

According to this article, most people believe that women who are raped have only themselves to blame.

“A third of people in the UK believe a woman is partially or completely to blame for being raped if she has behaved in a flirtatious manner, according to "shocking" research.”

Wow…..

The article goes on to say:

“More than a quarter also believe a woman is at least partly responsible for being raped if she wears sexy or revealing clothing, or is drunk, the ICM study found.

One in five thinks a woman is partly to blame if it is known she has many sexual partners, while more than a third believe she is responsible to some degree if she has clearly failed to say "no" to the man.”


I found this article horrifically fascinating, but do you know what… I understand those responses. (strategically hides from the PC Brigade)

One of the contestants from this years Big Brother show was allegedly raped in a hotel room by a bunch of guys.

Now normally I would be horrified to hear a story like this, but the thing is, because myself and the rest of the country had watched this particular housemate’s sexual antics in the house, I found it incredibly hard to dredge up the normal amount of sympathy. I know… not an ideal response from a borderline feminist.

I couldn’t understand why she’d gone up to a hotel room with guys that she didn’t know. Doesn’t she watch the TV? Every day there are rape cases across the country, but she seemed to think it was perfectly safe to take these men up to her room. Call me hard-faced, but if that’s not the ultimate in stupidity, I don’t know what is.

In an ideal world, a woman should be able to take any man she wants up to her room, but the problem is, we don’t fucking live in an ideal world. As far as I’m concerned, women need to get smarter about these things.

Judgemental much? Yes, I’m afraid I am. Can you honestly say that you’re not?