Saturday, January 21, 2006

Karen Does Kate Rothwell's Somebody To Love...



So Kate Rothwell, (bless her cotton socks) kindly sent me two of her books, Somebody To Love, and Somebody Wonderful.

This is the review for Somebody To Love.

Here’s the blurb:




My Verdict.

I found Somebody To Love quite hard to read, purely because Araminta got on my second tit. I think she was supposed to be portrayed as a strong woman, but she never really came across as being particularly strong. She came across as a woman, who seemed to let life and events dictate her actions.

I could understand that she didn’t want to be used and abused by Griffin, thus she kept him at arms length, but on the other hand, she went to work for a man, who wasn’t above murder, and beating women. What kind of fucked up logic is that? OK maybe she didn’t know he was a twat when she originally went to work for him, but I still couldn’t forgive her for staying with him for so long, and refusing to give in to the lovely Griff. Yeah, yeah, I know she she stayed for Olivia’s sake, blah blah effing blah..

I thought it was fairly obvious that Griffin was a decent bloke, plus he was rich, and quite frankly, she wasn’t, so why not just go for it? I guess I just wasn’t convinced by her motivation for not wanting to shag him senseless.

On the plus side, I liked Griffin. I liked the fact that he never tried to hide his feelings from Araminta. I hate the kind of conflict that has the lead characters playing push-me-pull-you, all the way through a damned book. There’s nothing guaranteed to piss me off, more than conflict that can be resolved with a conversation or two between the hero and the heroine.

The book itself was well written, (even if Araminta needed a good kicking or two), the plot was mildly interesting, and the chemistry between Araminta and Griffin was convincing, and had the heroine not been so wish-washy (yes Kate she was!), I would have enjoyed the book a lot more.

Overall, Somebody To Love was ok, but I wasn’t blown away by it.