Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Rape Cases and Celebrities, The Girls Who Cry Wolf, And Celebrities Behaving Badly

I’m a huge Manchester United (English soccer team) supporter, so of course I was very disturbed when I heard today that Cristiano Ronaldo, one of United’s wingers, was arrested for the alleged rape of a girl in a London hotel, where he was staying.

The rape allegedly took place on October 2nd.

There’s been a spate of accusations from football fan girls accusing various football players of rape. From memory, I don’t believe that a single case has resulted in the favour of the accuser. In a lot of the cases, the girls were found to be lying.

I recall a few years ago, Manchester United’s boss, Sir Alex Ferguson, was accused of raping and sexually assaulting a woman in South Africa. It was later found that that the accuser was a prostitute who’d plotted with her pimp to try to set Sir Alex up.

He hadn’t even had sex with the accuser, and had only actually been in her company for a few minutes. A meeting that she’d cleverly engineered.

I don’t know if Cristiano is guilty, but I think it’s highly unlikely that he raped this girl. There’s been too many false rape allegations for me to automatically believe the ‘victim’. My point of view may be surprising, but I’m afraid that I can’t help but be cynical whenever I hear about high profile rape allegations.

These days, I always automatically think that the accuser is after money. Which is a very sad indictment on how the public perceive women who would make such claims.

I have no doubt that celebrities raping women does happen, but when these ‘victims’ are proved to have lied, then it kind of makes me leery, about automatically believing women who claim to have been raped.

I’m enough of a feminist that I used to be up in arms whenever I heard about such cases, but I’ve learned that just because I myself, would never dream of falsely accusing another human being of rape, doesn’t mean that there aren’t women out there, who are willing to do just that, for their own personal gains.

Over the years, there have been a lot of of high profile rape cases, the most recent of which, being the Kobe Bryant case.

Once again, I don’t know whether he did it or not. Bryant said it was consensual, she called it rape. I didn’t have a clue who Kobe Bryant was before the accusation, but I certainly do now. Do I believe he did it? I haven’t got a clue if I’m honest.

If he did rape her, then I hope he burns in hell, if he didn’t then apart from the fact that he’s a cheating bastard, he’s commited no crime, but his life has been turned upside down, and his reputation forever tarnished.

The Mike Tyson/Desiree Washington case was another example.

Yes, Mike Tyson was convicted for the crime, but none of us truly know whether he did it or not, and I’m not here to give my opinion either way, but what I do want to ask, is why sports stars and celebrities never learn from the mistakes of their peers?

If you take a girl to your room, with the intention of having sex with her, you better be sure that she’s not going to accuse you of rape in the morning.

If you’re married, and you sleep with a strange girl, then you’re basically asking for bad things to happen to you.

If you decide to have sex in a public place, then you can pretty much guarantee that you will either get caught, or the person you were having sex with, will sell his/her story to the highest bidder.

Even if Hugh Grant hadn’t been caught giving it to Ms Brown, I have no doubt in my mind that she would have sold the story to the tabloids, or accused him of rape.

That’s how it is when you’re famous, so why the hell do so many of them put themselves in such compromising positions?