Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Bitch Wore The Same Dress... And Wasn't Paris from AI Amazing?

So me and the Tall Guy went to a wedding down south yesterday. We stayed over at a Hilton Hotel, where the reception was being held. I’m not overly fond of Hilton hotels, but this one was particularly bad.

The décor in our room was pastel pink and bottle green. Who the fuck thought that was a good colour combination in a bedroom?

Anyway, the Tall Guy discovered that he’d forgotten the belt for his suit, with about fifteen minutes until the church service was due to start. Oh joy.

I told him he’d have to live with it because there was no way I was going to a wedding service late. I knew that we’d pretty much be the only black people there, so I didn’t want to call attention to ourselves by coming in half-way through the service. *g*

Anyway, we got to the church with a couple of minutes to spare. Luckily, my friend (the bride) was late.

I was looking round the church, trying to see if there was anybody else that I knew, when my gaze fell upon a woman wearing exactly the same dress as me. Not only was she wearing my dress, but she’d also managed to somehow accessorize with brown suede boots. What. The. Fuck? The dress was blue and cream, so brown suede boots were just not appropriate. Why couldn’t she see how bad the combination looked?

The TG assured me that I looked waaaay classier than she did. That sooo didn’t help. Luckily, I’d brought a black velvet pashmina with me, so I wrapped that round the upper part of my dress to hide it from view.

The service was ok actually. Not overly long, like some I’ve attended in the past. I once went to a wedding where the service alone lasted 1.5hrs. Talk about losing the will to live. That was a black wedding though, so it pretty much went as expected. I recall that the reception was just as laborious.

As soon as the service was over, I made Paul drive me back to the hotel, where I changed. Luckily for me, I’d brought two outfits with me just in case I changed my mind about what I was going to wear.

The second dress and jacket looked a lot better anyway, but I did notice that the combination of cream and black was very popular with a lot of the wedding guests. Oh well. At least none of them were wearing the exact same clothes.

The reception was tedious and never-ending. The groom’s speech was crap, the best man’s speech was even worse, (Probably stolen from some dodgy website housing the corniest best-man speeches in the world) and the music was woeful. All the children were ridiculously tired by 6pm, and were acting out in the worse way. All in all, your average wedding.

The Tall Guy and I snuck off at around 10pm and proceeded to have our own party. Apparently nobody else left until about 2am, but there was no way I was going to be able to stay awake that long.

Anyway, I’m glad it’s over, but I can say that the bride looked wonderful!

By the way, I watched American Idol on Friday, and Paris did the Gladys Knight number. How freaking fantastic is that girl? Everybody else paled into insignificance after her performance.

I really hope she goes all the way.

Well, me and The Tall Guy are going to watch The Wedding Crashers on DVD, so I’m gonna sign off now!