Monday, February 13, 2006

Karen Votes In The All About Romance Reader Poll...

OK, so my life's kinda got back to something like normal, so I can blog properly again.

I voted in the AAR Readers poll the other day, I initially wasn’t going to, until I got a reminder e-mail from an author who shall remain nameless.

I found it quite difficult to vote because I couldn’t remember half the books that I’d read which were published in 2005, so I decided that if I couldn’t remember the book, then it wasn’t gonna get a mention.

Here are some of the books that I mentioned in one category or other: (only the positive categories mind)



My best female went to Eve Dallas, My best male went to Roarke. In fact, if I could have answered Eve and Roarke in every category, I surely would have. I’m still lovin’ those In Death books!

When it came to the question of best 'alternate reality', I couldn’t remember any 2005 paranormals set in a different world, that I’d read this year. I know I’ve read some, but I couldn’t think of any, and I couldn’t be arsed to go through my book collection to find them.

I think Linda Howard got my vote for new-to-me author who I glommed endlessly, but the same could be said for Catherine Anderson.

I had a hard time thinking of a single series/category romance that I’d enjoyed this year, I know there must have been some, but I can’t sodding-well remember any.

As for Best Regency…. Erm what? I get all confused when people throw that word at me. As far as I’m concerned, if it was set in any other century other than the 21st, it’s a goddamned historical. End of.

As for short stories in anthologies, is it just me, or does anybody else find it hard to remember short stories, that are mixed in with other stories? I think I went with one of Jaid Black’s stories that I’d particularly liked.

When I checked out the final
interim results, I saw that a lot of my choices had been very popular with other readers, proving of course, that I have great taste in books. *g*
I did happen to notice that some of these books were also the ones chosen in the “worst category”.

I think this is mostly because they were strong books that you either loved fan-girlishly, or loathed to the nth degree.

I think Passion was amongst the list of worst romance, as well as best romance. I’ll assume that the people who didn’t like Passion were bible bashing religious freakish virgins, who aren’t getting any. What? I’m kidding for Oprah’s sake. Geez, you really need to learn to take a joke. I’m sure they weren’t virgins.


I wont mention the author that I gave up in 2005 because that would just end up in a big ‘ol dirty fight on my blog, possibly like the one that JaynieR’s been having with that church-going heathen, Brenda Coulter. (If you haven’t heard about it, where the hell have you been?)

I will say though, that Thea Devine’s Sensation got an honorary mention as one of the worst books I read in 2005. Aahh, I get nice warm fuzzies just thinking about it…

So, have you voted yet? If not, what the sodding-hell are you waiting for? The poll wont close til Feb 19th, so
GO VOTE.

Speaking of Lisa Valdez, she’s started a new Yahoo Group up, for anybody who wants to join. Hopefully I wont get banned from this one.