Friday, August 18, 2006

Do We Really Believe In Love At First Sight?

I know that this subject has been hotly debated in the past, but the reason why I bring it up again, is because I just finished reading Morgan Leigh’s story in the Bad Boys In Black Tie anthology.

The hero and heroine fell in love within a day, and I’m afraid, I just didn’t buy it.

I think I actually resent romance stories, where the hero and heroine fall in love within a short space of time. In some cases, if the story is well written, then I can kinda get over it, but sometimes, even that’s not enough.

This is why I have such a problem with novella length books. Unless the lead characters are best friends, or have known each other for a while, it’s always going to be a struggle for the author to convince me, that the love is real.

There was a bit towards the end of the book where the guy was envisaging the heroine and himself, thirty years down the line. Totally took me out of the story. I’m all for suspending disbelief, but I found that I just couldn’t do it. All I kept thinking was that there was no way this would happen. He’d only just met the heroine, for Oprah’s sake, most of his interest lay in getting her horizontal.

Why couldn’t the author leave us to imagine that her characters eventually fell in love, and lived happily ever after?

Lust at first sight, is a slight cliché, but surely that’s more believable than love at first sight?

What say you?