Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Voice Within...

I read a Nora Roberts books yesterday called A Will And A Way. Ever heard of it? No? Neither had I.

I enjoyed it though, despite its many flaws. Hey, it was written in 1986, waddaya expect?

Anyway, this isn’t a review of the book though, it’s just that whilst I was reading it, I found myself trying to ‘hear’ Nora Roberts voice, or at least what I identify as her writing voice.

I said I tried, mainly because I couldn’t. It struck me that N.R doesn’t have a specific voice. She’s a good weaver of stories, and somehow, she’s able to individualise (is that even a word?) her books.

When I read a Linda Howard book, I know it’s her. Although still a fantastic storyteller, her heroes are often very similar, as are her heroines. In my opinion at least.

The same can be said about Catherine Anderson books. She has a certain way of telling a story and developing her characters. Also, her themes are usually very similar. She does love her physically impaired characters doesn't she? (I love 'em too though, so it's all good.)

Having read both J.D Robb books, and a Nora Roberts books, there’s no way I’d be able to tell that it was written by the same author, had I not already known. I find it simply amazing that an author is able to hone her craft to such a degree that she can take on different writing voices, and make it work.

It probably seems kinda obvious that if an author is to have a long and prolific career, they should be able to adapt their voice when necessary, and I don’t know about you guys, but it seems to me that there are plenty of authors out there who have their own definitive voices. Voices that rarely change even when writing in a different genre.

I know that this doesn’t sound very progressive of me, but I think I prefer being able to recognise the voice of a fave (or even not so fave) author.

Sharon Sala used to be on auto-buy author for me, but she started getting too hit and miss for me to cope with. Her writing voice seemed to change dramatically from one book to the next. I can’t believe that an author who can write amazing books such as,
Sweetbaby, and The Way To Yesterday, can turn round and write the snoozefests that were Rider On Fire, and White Mountain.

I like the comfort of knowing what I’m gonna get, before I open the pages of a book. Sure I like surprises, but the thing that draws me to particular authors in the first place is usually their writing style and voice, so why would I want them to change?

What say you?